Installing SQL Server 2008R2 Sample Databases
By default Windows Server 2008 security is configured to prevent the download of these installers. Changing this security configuration is
recommended on production servers. Please see Windows Server documentation for information on how to change these settings.
To install all the sample databases for SQL Server 2008 perform the following steps:
- Ensure all prerequisites are met. See
Database Prerequisites for detailed prerequisite instructions. Note that database installation will not complete unless all prerequisites are met.
- Using the object explorer in SSMS delete any earlier version of the AdventureWorks sample databases you may have installed.
- Using the file explorer ensure all .MDF and .LDF files have been deleted from the
data directory for all sample databases in the instance you will be installing the new sample databases. For the default instance, the path to the data directory for OLTP, LT, and DW sample databases is typically
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA.
- Navigate to
- Click on the AdventureWorks2008R2_RTM.exe link
- Read the license and if you agree to the conditions click I Agree.
- Click Run
- If an elevation prompt occurs click Yes.
- Respond to all the dialogs presented by the installer as detailed below.
Click the I agree
license agreement check box, then click the Next
- Use the pull down selector to choose the instance in which to install the sample databases.
- While it is possible to change the directory where the scripts and data files will be installed, it is recommended that the default be used. If the directory is changed, be sure that the account the SQL Server service runs under has read access to this
- Be sure to read all the content in this dialog.
- Uncheck any databases you do not wish to install. If there are warnings, click
More Information links for additional information which can help you resolve the issues which prevent those databases from being installed.
- To copy the scripts and data files and install the selected databases press the
Scripts and data files are copied to the directory you selected in the previous dialog. Progress bars for the whole installation and progress for installing the current database are displayed along with status messages that change as the installation progresses.
More status information can be displayed by clicking Show Details
. If the installation has failed for any reason it is helpful to click
to find out why. Any bugs filed should include all the details displayed which you can gather by typing control-a to select everything in the details text box, and control-c to copy all the lines to the clipboard. The details can then be
pasted in a bug you can create on the Issue Tracker tab at
When the installation is complete, click the Finish
button. Temporary files will be deleted by the self-extracting zip file. The databases which were installed should be ready to browse and access using either SQL Server Management Studio or the SQLCMD