Before you install AdventureWorks by using one of the Windows Installer (.msi) packages, make sure that the SQL Server meets the following prerequisites:
- Full-Text Search must be installed.
- The SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher service must be running.
- FILESTREAM must be enabled.
If you are using SQL Server Express, you must be running SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services to install the SQL Server 2008 AdventureWorks databases by using the .msi packages. This is because SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced
Services includes the Full-Text Search feature. You can download SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services from the
Microsoft Download Center
How to install the prerequisites on an existing installation of SQL Server
Installing Full-Text Search
If Full-Text Search is already installed, but the SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher service is not running, the installation will fail with a message that the Full-Text Search feature is missing. Therefore, if you already have Full-Text Search
installed, follow the procedure to enable the SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher Service.
- To install Full-Text Search, you must run SQL Server Setup. When you do, select the
New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation installation option.
- When you get to the Installation Type page, select Add features to an existing instance of SQL Server 2008, select the instance name, and then click
- When you get to the Feature Selection page, under the Instance Features/Database Engine Services node, select the
Full-Text Search check box, click Next, and then complete the rest of the pages in the wizard.
Enabling the SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher Service
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server 2008, point to
Configuration Tools, and then click SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- In the left pane, click SQL Server Services.
- In the list of services, right-click SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher for the instance that you are configuring, and then click
- Click the Service tab.
- Next to Start Mode, click Disabled, and then click Automatic in the list that appears.
- Click OK.
- Right-click SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher for the instance that you are configuring, and then click
For information about how to enable FILESTREAM, see “How to: Enable FILESTREAM” in
SQL Server Books Online
. Note the following additional information:
- Steps 7 and 8 are optional. If you find that you need to enable FILESTREAM for file I/O streaming access, you can enable this option later.
- In step 11, the example sp_configure statement shows how to enable FILESTREAM for both Transact-SQL access and for file I/O streaming access. To enable FILESTREAM for Transact-SQL access only, issue the following statements:
EXEC sp_configure filestream_access_level, 1
For more information about the access levels, see “filestream access level” in
SQL Server Books Online
How to install the prerequisites on a new installation of SQL Server
If you want to install the prerequisites at the same time that you install a new instance of SQL Server, note the following information:
- You must install Full-Text Search during SQL Server Setup. To do this, when you get to the
Feature Selection page of the Setup wizard, under the Instance Features/Database Engine Services node, make sure that the
Full-Text Search check box is selected.
- You can enable FILESTREAM during installation. To do this, follow these steps:
- When you get to the Database Engine Configuration page, after you configure account provisioning and data directories, click the
- Select the Enable FILESTREAM for Transact-SQL access check box, and then click Next.
(Note that if you use a sample that requires file I/O streaming access, you can enable the
Enable FILESTREAM for file I/O streaming access
option later. Also note that if you enable FILESTREAM during SQL Server Setup, you do not have to run the
stored procedure with the *filestream_access_level option to enable FILESTREAM.)
- After the installation, you must enable the SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher service.